Monday, September 7, 2009

Post 13 ... In Spite of All the Danger

Well, I am back from Cleveland and in my home once again.  I was able to finish all of the Anthology disks on the trip which was nice, and since my lovely wife was willing to drive, I also was able to read a lot of my newly acquired Beatles Anthology book. Once we got home, I also got a chance to watch the first episode of the Anthology documentaries, which pretty much goes right along with the part of the book I have read so far; the video did give some real insight into some of the older songs that I didn't know that the guys considered influential or that they covered at the time.  

The Anthology packages are all great and for someone trying to get some insight and back story into a band, you could not ask for a better package.  It is very interesting to hear how some of the songs evolved into what they are on the final releases.  I sent a message from my phone regarding the version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"; this is a great example of this.  I love the album track, but the version on Anthology is amazing; it sheds a completely different light on the song.  This just goes to show that a song is not just poetry set to music, but a whole package in which the the lyrics are just one element.  This kind of reminds me of the way a filter can change a scene in movies.  For example, a shot of a horse could take place anywhere, but put a sepia tone on it and poof! You're in at the OK Corral at high noon. These packages are giving me plenty of different filters to re-experience these fabulous songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment