Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Post 22 ... Glass Onion

I was researching some of the stories behind the songs, and I kept stumbling across “Paul is Dead” information.  I knew of the rumor that Paul actually died and then they found a look-alike to replace him, but I had no idea how it all started. So I did some research. 

I knew about the whole Abbey Road cover thing: Paul is dead because he is in a blue suit with no shoes and has his opposite leg foward compared to the rest of The Beatles; John is god or an angel because he is dressed in white; Ringo is the pallbearer because he is in a black suit; and George is a grave digger because he is dressed in blue jeans. 

The things I didn’t know, however, could fill a book.

For example, the Magical Mystery Tour cover has three beetles in white animal costumes and one in black--read three alive, one dead. The black one happens to be a walrus, and according to the John-penned song “Glass Onion,” the walrus was Paul. Also there was a whole back story built around this myth that he died in a car wreck, while staring at Lovely Rita.  It seems like absolute nonsense to me, all of the “proof” that the conspiracy nuts use could be anything; the group couldn’t write a song with death or injury or sleep or cars or teeth or the number three without it being used as a message from The Beatles about Paul’s demise and cover-up. It is an interesting read though, if just to see how crazy some people really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment