Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Post 5 ... Golden Slumbers

Well one day down and although I had plenty of interruptions at work and had to watch Mad Men and the new No Reservations, which both recorded last night, I made it nearly through all of the UK Beatles albums.  I am listening to Yellow Submarine now and that just leaves Abbey Road and Let it be left to be listened to.  It was an interesting trip today, it was fun to get a chance to take a look at how The Beatles evolved in how they put songs together.  And i know what some of you will say that some of the songs on later albums actualy were written much earlier--for example "When I'm Sixty-Four"-- but what I noticed more than song structure and more complex chord structures was their expanded use of emerging recording technologies.  Anyone could have made some songs with a cacophony of samples and sound effects (which they did from time to time) but what is more interesting to me is how the experimented with these technologies in their proper songs to give them more layers and depth.  This is the knid of thing that I find interesting.  

Although I knew my knowledge of older Beatles was poor at best, something that kind of surprised me was the number of the songs on the White Album (not one of may favorites but obviously a good record, of which I have still listened to may times), in which during this listen provided small surprises to me.  I don't know if I am explaining this very well but sometimes when I listen to a song a number of times and then don't for a while something that I never heard before in it stands out to me.  Whether this is more a causation of forgetting in the time apart from the song, or if its a that in the time of that my brain has changed in very gradually and very subtly I am not sure.  I hope that its the latter and not the former, because if we extrapolate this idea out towards infinity maybe this means that it is possible to completely change the way we think about more important things in our lives. Moreover, if this is happening gradually and without our knowledge maybe if we are open to it and given enough time we can be rid of current prejudices and old thoughts that is holding us back.  Or maybe i should slow down on the drinking.  Either way I am off to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment