Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Post 19 ... She's a Woman

Well my busy week at work continues, and I have been at my desk for two lunches and twenty-five other minutes this week.  Oh well, it makes the days go fast, but really limits my listening time (as well as my Internet surfing about the Beatles, but let's keep that between you and me).

One good thing about all this Beatles listening and researching is that it spreads. I spent an hour talking about all things Beatles the other night with a friend of mine at a crowded bar, and he is not that big of a Beatles fan in the first place. I also got a group of my friends to listen to the "white album" in its entirety at a party the week before. This is a hugely different sort of thing than we usually listen to at these events.  However, it appears that the biggest effect this Beatles phase I am in right now is that my wife too is obsessed; she just asked me for all of the Beatles songs so that she could put them on her iPod. It's not like she wasn't a fan of the Beatles or anything before--in fact, she can sing along with most of their obscure tracks--I just think that sometimes it is easy to forget how good something that you have had seemingly forever is, until someone else points it out to you--like love, luck, or family. This is one of the points that I try to get across [read: hammer home] to people about music: It is not just entertainment, digital information, or a possession; it becomes you as though it is dancing with the fibers of your very being. Music is one of man's primal urges, from banging sticks and bones on stones, to auto-tune and synthesizer--no matter the  implements available to the artist, it becomes part of our collective consciousness, a  constantly changing ether in which we all share real estate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment