Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Post 3 … A Beginning.

I started my journey this morning at 6:35 AM eastern time. I decided to try to experience The Beatles the way the world did, chronologically following their UK releases. So far I have listened to Please, Please Me, With the Beatles, and I am currently listening to A Hard Day’s Night. Please, Please Me, is excellent by the way. As I said before I am not a huge fan of their early stuff, but I am definitely warming up to it.

I guess some of you might ask why don’t I like care for early Beatles, and I guess that I can’t say I don’t like it, it is more that I grew up on them. My father used to listening to Oldies 93 in Youngstown, Ohio, when I was a kid, any and every time we got into the car. With the early Beatles and a lot of music from the 50s and early 60s, I heard it constantly and it muddled together in my young ears. I believe it is this muddling that leads to me not being very excited about these early songs. (However, I just finished A Hard Day’s Night, and its closer, “I’ll Be Back,” is gorgeous.)

But that is one of the points ofdoing this in the first place, to shatter my own perceptions, prejudices, and to expand my mind. So far it looks like it is starting to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment