Saturday, September 12, 2009

Post 16 ... You Really Got a Hold on Me

Well a third of the way done, and I can say I am not tired of it yet. I thought this would be one of those things that would wear on me until I was so tired of it that I would want to quit; but actually I am excited every day to learn--and especially to listen to--more.  It truly was a fascinating adventure the four lads had. I am starting to understand why there are so many people completely obsessed with them. 

I am building a list of all of their songs and who wrote which, as I mentioned in earlier posts; in doing so, I am reading some of the back stories behind the songs, and some of them are fascinating.  Take, for example, "Eleanor Rigby." I heard somewhere a long time ago that Paul read an obituary in the paper for an old woman who had no "survived by" people, and he then wrote the song about her late life and death.  But it turns out there is no story like that, and in fact the song was all just made up piecemeal like most songs are: they started with a melody and then figured out some lyrics that filled it. According to Paul, anyway.  But then there are some other weird aspects to the story, such as there are actually old graves found in Liverpool with the names Eleanor Rigby and McKenzie (as in Father McKenzie) on them in a cemetery wear Paul and John used to hang out. Paul maintains he just made the names up, but that is a very interesting coincidence. You can read more about that here.

On another note, we got through all of the songs on The Beatles: Rock Band, and it is a really good game, very well put together and they have added many modes and goals to keep it interesting. I am pumped for when the full albums start coming out on it, they will definitely be purchased.  Very interested to see what they do with some of the songs that are not guitar driven.  



No comments:

Post a Comment